AAUW Delaware’s Public Policy Program emphasizes AAUW’s mission of advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research and addresses women’s needs, aspirations and concerns across the life span.
To support a strong system of public education that promotes gender fairness, equity, and diversity, AAUW DE advocates
- Adequate and equitable funding for quality public education for all students.
- Opposition to the use of public funds for nonpublic elementary and secondary education and to charter schools that do not adhere to the same civil rights and accountability standards as required of other public schools.
- Protection of programs that meet the needs of girls and women in elementary, secondary, and postsecondary education, including strong promotion of STEM education and comprehensive sex education and vigorous enforcement of Title IX and all other civil rights laws pertaining to education.
- Increased support for and access to affordable higher education for women and disadvantaged populations.
- Increased support for programs that break through barriers for women and girls in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.
- High quality early childhood education, care, and health for children birth to 5 and appropriate education of staff.
- Increased access of poor and minority children to quality early childhood education programs.
- Support of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
To achieve economic self-sufficiency for all women, AAUW DE advocates
- Pay equity and fairness in compensation.
- Equitable access and advancement in employment, including vigorous enforcement of employment anti-discrimination statutes.
- Greater availability of and access to a high standard of benefits and policies that promote work-life balance.
- Programs that provide women with education, training, and support for success in the workforce, including nontraditional occupations and women’s entrepreneurship.
- Strengthening programs, including welfare and career and technical education, to improve postsecondary education access, career development, and earning potential.
- Strengthening retirement benefits and programs, including pension improvements and protecting Social Security from privatization.
To guarantee equality, individual rights, and social justice for a diverse society, AAUW DE advocates
- Vigorous enforcement of and full access to civil and constitutional rights, including voting rights.
- Choice in the determination of one’s reproductive life.
- Freedom from violence and fear of violence, including hate crimes, in homes, schools, workplaces, and communities.
- Increased access to quality, affordable health care and family planning services, including expansion of patients’ rights.
- Support for U.N. programs that address human rights and women’s and girls’ concerns.
- Freedom in the definition of family and a guarantee of civil rights in all family structures.
- Extending foster care services for youth aging out of foster care until 21 years of age.